Monday, October 26, 2009

inner timing cover

Back to the front.


With the inner timing cover off, I got my first view of the helical cut gears.



The front main seal (still attached to the cover on the bottom right) has been weeping for months, have been looking forward to fixing that leak for some time.


I found these crude drain holes a little offsetting, but I guess all they are doing is allowing the oil to drain faster back into the sump. I've been told not to pay them much mind.



With the gears off you can see the camshaft [top], crank shaft [middle] and the oil pump on the bottom, each driven by their own gear.



The oil pump is that small square on the bottom and its gear attached to the small bolt that protrudes out. This was the only gear that required the use of a puller - I wished I thought to examine my puller before I went at it. My puller in particular [a harbor freight model] uses a hollow main bolt, which I really never noticed before. When I placed it over the oil pump bolt, it slipped down over it and buggered the leading thread. I subsequently put a large washer between the puller and the bolt to get the gear off. I think the pump bolt is repairable, well I really hope it is because a replacement pump is over $300.



I'm hoping I can just run a die over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment