Monday, October 26, 2009

cam and cam followers

With the gears off, the cam thrust bearing and cam are an easy removal.
I was pretty surprised the cam doesn't run in a replaceable bearing, like the crank does.



The lobes are a little worse for wear.
Each lobe has the identical wear marks



By now I think it's pretty obvious the mileage indicated on the odometer when I received the bike wasn't very accurate, unless the PO was a POS. I could maybe possibly have this reground, but a fellow loopframer offered to sell me a B10 cam and resurfaced lifters.


About the B10 cam (from mgcycle.com)

"These cams provide a noticeable seat of the pants power boost at all rpms without straining the valve gear or other engine components. Among the best bang for the buck improvements. The B10 grind made it's debut in the "Powering Up Kit" offered for the early LeMans models, and was later used as original equipment in the LeMans 1000 series, as well as in a few 1000S and California III models."



The cam followers are removed from the large holes left and right of the 12 o'clock cylinder stud.



And here is a shot of my worse worn cam follower.


This is the face that rides the cam, the push rod is inserted into the other end.
I'm told ones nicer than this are thrown out and not even considered to be resurfaced, and that this one probably was oil starved, or a piece of debris (chrome!) was between the cam lobe and the follower's face.

No comments:

Post a Comment