I found out quickly enough that I had iron sleeved liners, and was happy enough to leave it at that. I put the heads back on and put a few thousand miles on the bike the next 2 years. I change my oil probably more than some would think necessary (at or before every 1,200 miles) and I've dropped the pan for a cleaning twice. Still, the remnants of those cursed chrome liners are found in every little crevice of my block. Here you can see a tiny flake blocking the oil passage way in my rocker spindle.
Surprisingly, it did not fail. Though I'm still not sure if I am going to ruse the part.
One more subject of discussion in the cylinder head area is the wear on the rocker arm where it makes contact with the valve stem. It's probably best to show the picture first so we are on the same page.
Now you can see where the valve stem makes contact with the rocker and created this little divot. While still structurally sound, the problem is that this induces an incorrect measurement when using a feeler gauge to set the valves. The feeler gauge will measure between the high spot on the rocker and the valve stem and will be loose to the degree of that divot. Considering these clearances are to a hundredth of a millimeter, I'm going to sand or hone these down to remove this depression.
No comments:
Post a Comment