Off with the heads. Looking like I was running pretty lean. I think it was the oil fowled plugs that threw me off and made me keep leaning the mix out to get rid of the blackish color I mistook (apparently) for a rich mix. I'm still no expert.
I had my doubts on whether or not these valves would even clean up. They looked seriously warty and my attempts with a wire wheel didn't do a whole
lot of nothing.
You can see where the oil was slipping past down the guide and reaching the cylinder. Causing the bike to smoke and screwing up my damned
plugs.
I ended up turning to one of my neighbors who is a retired machinist to see if he could recommend a shop to take my heads to. Turns out the old guy was more than happy to take on the project himself. He installed the new guides and retainers, bead blasted the heads, ground the valves and did a 3 angle job on my seats for $170. Couldn't have been happier.
The heads are now siting on the shelf in plastic bags waiting to be reinstalled.
No comments:
Post a Comment