Monday, October 26, 2009

in a borrowed garage


In a borrowed garage, I spread myself out and pulled the motor in the span on 41 Creedence Clearwater Revival songs. My brother in-law was cool enough to help me out by donating the space, his hands and conversation.

I had decided to pull the motor because it had developed some habits that I wasn't approving of. I was oil fowling plugs on the right side and the left side had developed a pronounced 'clank' if the throttle was cracked too quickly. My clutch had at this point always been an issue as well.

Really, it just seemed like things were failing on this bike before I had a chance to address them. Last season, wiring issues kept me off the road more than once. Earlier this season my rear drive exploded and the bike was forced to be parked for over a month, until a new (to me) rebuilt drive could make its way from Charley Cole and Zydeco Racing. I whole heartedly recommend his services. And who recently described my perdicament with tact that could have only come from years of fiddling with motors;


"No one likes riding a mystery ship. Your never quite sure
when it's going to let you down."


So yeah, probably could've kept riding the old girl - but my conscience is such that I was focusing on all these issues and it was seriously detracting from my ability to enjoy the ride. And 2009 being possibly the worst riding season I've seen so far, I just decided to pull the block and go over the whole damn thing and not have to worry about it for another 100k miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment