Monday, October 26, 2009

crank and bearings

The crank was pulled last, after the con rods were removed. There were a few nicks here and there, but I still don't know what its fate will be since I have yet to have it measured.



This is the section of the crank that mates with the rear carrier bearing. This seems like the most worn section.



and the rear carrier. Pretty worn if you ask me, a pretty good divot shown in this picture.



and the front carrier still attached to the block. You can see some worn grooves here too.



These old motors don't have oil filters, besides a crude centrifugal sludge trap located in the center of the crank, which traps sediment inside. I guess its better than nothing, but if this sludge accumulates too much there is a major risk of blocking the oilways and starving the con rod big end bearings.

Here is a picture of the sludge I found in my crank. Ghastly.



Most of it removed.



And now we're all caught up to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment